Monday 19 August 2013

The First British Bacon Factory & The IEE, Hitchin

Building work for The First British Bacon Factory (Later the Herts and Beds Bacon Factory) began in June 1912.  And the factory opened a hundred years ago in 1913. The produce was popular, but it must have been horrendous for those living nearby, and there were protests at the time about it opening, and I can't say I'm surprised.  I've heard some horror stories about the sounds and smells that came from that place, and it makes me sad to think about it - so I'm not going to dwell on it here.

The building was demolished in 1970 (good riddance) and replaced by an office block called Station House, that housed The Institution of Electrical Engineers. (The IEE).

I worked at the IEE around 1977, and recall tapping away on what must have been one of the first electric Olympia typewriters. Goodness only knows what I would have done without my book of tippex paper.  I think I got through about ten packs a week.  How did we ever cope before computers? Although we did have them back then, it's just the CPUs were the size of mountains. I remember those days with great affection, although I left long before the offices closed and the IEE moved to Stevenage.  The building was later demolished and an Audi garage is now where the two buildings once stood.

Amanda Brittany
***

3 comments:

  1. We used to select a pig and follow it through the whole process. Can you imagine 11 years old running around an abatoirs today, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds truly horrible - I wouldn't want to do that at any age, let alone 11!

      Delete
  2. What about C&T Harris of Calne Wiltshire

    ReplyDelete