Monday 19 August 2013

The Hermitage Cinema, Hitchin

The Hermitage Cinema opened in Hermitage Road in Hitchin on 29th February 1932, and offered film-goes two matinees a week.  It was one of the best equipped cinemas of its time in England. The first film to be shown there was Michael & Mary staring Edna Best and Herbert Marshall.







The cinema could seat almost 1400 people and had 3 box offices. It had a spacious foyer and a tea lounge, and many people recall it with affection, and were never quite sure why it was, in the end, replaced by The Regal in Bancroft.


The venue was also used by The Thespians who performed there during the 1930s.


The Hermitage closed in 1964, the final film shown there was in September 1963 and was Heavens Above! staring Peter Sellers







My mum was an usherette at the cinema in the fifties, and I had an interesting comment added below and thought I'd add it to the post:

My Dad was projectionist there both pre and post war,he is 98 now as of Feb. 2016.Dad has often said that the deceased Manager could often be seen wandering around the Cinema in the mornings with the bag containing the previous nights takings!When the Cinema was demolished and replaced by a block of flats he could be seen wandering around the flats!

Amanda

***
My best selling ebook Her Last Lie is available HERE  All ebook royalties go to Cancer Research UK in memory of my amazing sister. Her Last Lie is a psychological thriller, with a  chapter devoted to Hitchin, and the main character lives in Letchworth.

8 comments:

  1. This is fascinating. The blog is fab. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad was projectionist there both pre and post war,he is 98 now as of Feb. 2016.Dad has often said that the deceased Manager could often be seen wandering around the Cinema in the mornings with the bag containing the previous nights takings!When the Cinema was demolished and replaced by a block of flats he could be seen wandering around the flats!

      Delete
    2. How fascinating! I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd add your comment to the actual blog post. My mother worked in the cinema as an usherette when she was in her teens. (which I also want to add to the post!) She's almost eighty now. I wonder if they worked there at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Suz. I'm going to keep on adding to it, as I'm so enjoying doing it. XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant seeing history of your home town.
    I had no idea of the cinema on Hermitage rd. Just the Bancroft one.
    Why did the regal close?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure, Daljinder. Probably because it wasn't making enough money. The cinema was pretty run down when it finally closed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part of Odean chain. Was massive and always looked empty due to size. Open in summer 1965 as l watched a film there. Sure about dates because l was in USA until 06/11/1964

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. I did cross check the date in various local history books, but could be wrong. I can't remember it personally. I always went to The Regal. :-)

      Delete