Sunday 9 April 2017

The Factory Playhouse, Hitchin: Les Misérables

I feel compelled to blog about this amazing venue, after seeing Les Mis last night.

I’d previously seen Les Mis in London, and the film, so I’m not going to lie, the students at the Emil Dale Academy had a tough act to follow, but boy did they step up last night and equal anything I’d seen before. In fact, I’d go as far as to say they superseded it. 

I adore The Factory Playhouse in Hitchin, previously seeing ‘Grease’ and ‘Night and the Musicals’, so I knew I was in for a treat with Les Mis.  

The scene was set almost immediately, with the smiling faces of students directing us to the car park – and a Prosecco marquee with a great atmosphere, playing just the right kind of music and serving cheeseboards and drinks.

Once we were settled in one of 184 seats in the once disused factory in Wilbury Way, we were spellbound from the off. Sam Hull’s performance as Jean Valjean was breathtaking. It was hard to believe he wasn’t performing on the West End stage. When he sang ‘Bring him home’ I’m not ashamed to say tears rolled down my face…as they did with several other songs too.

Other amazing performances were by Iverson Yabut, who was an incredible Javert, and Cameron Rhodes and Holly Masters gave hilarious performances as Madame Thenardier and Mr Thenardier. Lizzie Wood as Fantine,  Emily McCormick as Cosette, Joe Churms as Marius, Esme Allen-Quarmby as Eponine, Alfie French as Enjolras, Amelia Burrows as Young Eponine and Rosie Hostler as Young Cosette were all amazing.  And last but by no means least, Nicholas Witham-Mueller played Gavroche (the little cockney French boy) to perfection.  Add in the amazing performances by the rest of the cast, and what’s not to love? Oh, and if that wasn’t enough – Les Misérables – and all shows at The Factory Playhouse – are accompanied by an amazing live 12-piece West End orchestra. 


The next performance there is ‘Hairspray’ from 10th-21st  May 2017.
I’ve had my tickets for ages, and can’t wait! But I think they may still have some available.  So, if you love musicals, what are you waiting for? Go book.  I know you’ll love The Factory Playhouse.

Their website can be found HERE 

***
My best selling ebook Her Last Lie is available HERE  All ebook royalties go to Cancer Research UK in memory of my amazing sister. Her Last Lie is a psychological thriller, with a  chapter devoted to Hitchin, and the main character lives in Letchworth.

2 comments: